The Village of Tweed, is located on the shores of Stoco Lake and was first settled in the 1830s, originally named Hungerford Mills, after the surrounding Township of Hungerford. The settlement was renamed Tweed after the River Tweed in Scotland and was incorporated as a Village in 1891.
The economic development of the community was enabled by lumbering and mining developments during the mid 19th century and became a service centre for area farmers.
The Municipality of Tweed was officially incorporated on January 1, 1998 when the Village of Tweed amalgamated with the Townships of Hungerford and Elzevir & Grimsthorpe.
With a population of over 6,000 the Municipality of Tweed consists of the Village, six Hamlets (Actinolite, Marlbank, Queensborough, Sulphide, Stoco and Thomasburg) and a large rural, agricultural area which reaches from Wadsworth Lake in the north to Roslin in the south.
The Black River joins the Moira River north of the Village of Tweed and meanders through the Village and empties into Stoco Lake.
The Municipality of Tweed has an abundance of experiences, such as North America’s Smallest Jailhouse, world-class muskie/black crappie fishing on Stoco Lake, events, culture and heritage, hiking, and so much more!
The Municipality of Tweed is ideally situated half way between Toronto and Ottawa (two hours either way), one hour to Kingston or Peterborough and within 30 minutes of Belleville and Napanee. Tweed is the Gateway to the Land O’ Lakes and is part of the Bay of Quinte Region. We have become known for our small-town friendliness, affordability, accessibility, beautiful environment, outdoor recreational experiences, cultural history and annual events.